[R-sig-hpc] Multicore processors alternatives

Mario Valle mvalle at cscs.ch
Mon Nov 23 11:31:45 CET 2009

Hi Matthieu,
off topic on off topic. On my laptop under Windows Vista I have problems with 'multicore'.
There are problems in shutting down the worker processes. So I switched to snowfall+snow
using sockets. No problem since then with my two cores laptop, except the temperature
rise. Somewhere else I read that Windows is not very good at this kind of parallel
processing (R mail list? OpenSceneGraph mail list?), so I use the laptop only for testing
and the serious jobs moved to a Linux cluster (snowfall+snow+Rmpi on 64 cores).
Hope it helps. Ciao!
				mario

--
Ing. Mario Valle