[R-sig-hpc] Rmpi, lam, & Fedora 10

Richard A. Bilonick rab at consolidated.net
Tue May 12 17:12:13 CEST 2009

I'm still working on getting Rmpi working on CentOS 5.3. At the same
time, I thought I would try to install it on a dual opteron system with
Fedora 10.

I was able to install & boot lam and check to make sure it is working. I
then installed Rmpi (telling it where to find things) and it compiled
without any errors or warnings. So I'm making progress.

However, when I start R (64-bit version 2.9.0) and load Rmpi I get:

> library(Rmpi)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'/usr/lib64/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so':
  libmpi.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error in library(Rmpi) : .First.lib failed for 'Rmpi'
Error in dyn.unload(file.path(libpath, "libs", paste("Rmpi", .Platform
$dynlib.ext,  :
  dynamic/shared library '/usr/lib64/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so' was
not loaded

I'm not sure what the difference is between Rmpi.so and Rmpi.so.0.

[goldy at dom libs]$ ll /usr/lib64/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 109431 2009-05-12
09:48 /usr/lib64/R/library/Rmpi/libs/Rmpi.so

Any ideas on what went wrong and how to fix it?

I've included the output from installing Rmpi below.

Thanks.

Rick B.

[root at dom Download]# R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-7.tar.gz
--configure-args=--with-mpi=/usr/lib64/lam
* Installing to library \u2018/usr/lib64/R/library\u2019
* Installing *source* package \u2018Rmpi\u2019 ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
Try to find mpi.h ...
Found in /usr/lib64/lam/include
Try to find libmpi.so or libmpich.a
Found libmpi in /usr/lib64/lam/lib
Try to find liblam.so ...
Found liblam in /usr/lib64/lam/lib
checking for openpty in -lutil... yes
checking for main in -lpthread... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
gcc -m64 -std=gnu99 -I/usr/include/R -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -I/usr/lib64/lam/include -DMPI2 -DLAM -fPIC
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -c RegQuery.c -o
RegQuery.o
gcc -m64 -std=gnu99 -I/usr/include/R -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -I/usr/lib64/lam/include -DMPI2 -DLAM -fPIC
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -c Rmpi.c -o Rmpi.o
gcc -m64 -std=gnu99 -I/usr/include/R -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -I/usr/lib64/lam/include -DMPI2 -DLAM -fPIC
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -c conversion.c -o
conversion.o
gcc -m64 -std=gnu99 -I/usr/include/R -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\"
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -I/usr/lib64/lam/include -DMPI2 -DLAM -fPIC
-I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -O2 -g -pipe -Wall
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -c internal.c -o
internal.o
gcc -m64 -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib64 -o Rmpi.so RegQuery.o
Rmpi.o conversion.o internal.o -L/usr/lib64/lam/lib -lmpi -llam -lutil
-lpthread -fPIC -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR
** R
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
** help
*** installing help indices
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'Rmpi'
     Formats: text html latex example
  hosts                             text    html    latex
  internal                          text    html    latex
  mpi.abort                         text    html    latex
  mpi.apply                         text    html    latex   example
  mpi.barrier                       text    html    latex
  mpi.bcast                         text    html    latex
  mpi.bcast.Robj                    text    html    latex
  mpi.bcast.cmd                     text    html    latex
  mpi.cart.coords                   text    html    latex   example
  mpi.cart.create                   text    html    latex   example
  mpi.cart.get                      text    html    latex   example
  mpi.cart.rank                     text    html    latex   example
  mpi.cart.shift                    text    html    latex   example
  mpi.cartdim.get                   text    html    latex   example
  mpi.comm                          text    html    latex   example
  mpi.comm.disconnect               text    html    latex
  mpi.comm.free                     text    html    latex
  mpi.comm.inter                    text    html    latex
  mpi.comm.set.errhandler           text    html    latex
  mpi.comm.spawn                    text    html    latex
  mpi.const                         text    html    latex
  mpi.dims.create                   text    html    latex   example
  mpi.exit                          text    html    latex
  mpi.finalize                      text    html    latex
  mpi.gather                        text    html    latex   example
  mpi.gather.Robj                   text    html    latex   example
  mpi.get.count                     text    html    latex
  mpi.get.processor.name            text    html    latex
  mpi.get.sourcetag                 text    html    latex
  mpi.iapply                        text    html    latex
  mpi.info                          text    html    latex
  mpi.init.sprng                    text    html    latex
  mpi.intercomm.merge               text    html    latex
  mpi.parSim                        text    html    latex
  mpi.parapply                      text    html    latex   example
  mpi.probe                         text    html    latex
  mpi.realloc                       text    html    latex
  mpi.reduce                        text    html    latex
  mpi.remote.exec                   text    html    latex   example
  mpi.scatter                       text    html    latex   example
  mpi.scatter.Robj                  text    html    latex   example
  mpi.send                          text    html    latex   example
  mpi.send.Robj                     text    html    latex
  mpi.sendrecv                      text    html    latex   example
  mpi.setup.rng                     text    html    latex
  mpi.spawn.Rslaves                 text    html    latex   example
  mpi.universe.size                 text    html    latex
  mpi.wait                          text    html    latex
** building package indices ...
* DONE (Rmpi)
[root at dom Download]#