[R-sig-hpc] RScaLAPACK with OpenMPI

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jul 1 20:22:42 CEST 2009

Hi Michela,

Sorry for replying sooner, this fell to the wayside.  I'll pick this one
rather than your post on r-help as this is probably the better forum.

On 29 May 2009 at 08:51, Michela Cameletti wrote:
| I'm using RScalapack library for parallelizing some heavy matrix
| operations required by MCMC methods for spatio-temporal models. The
| package reference manuals (dated 2005) states that the library needs
| LamMPI to work but we have a Linux Cluster with OpenMPI. We have found
| (http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/R-RScaLAPACK/) a patch for
| OpenMPI but we are wondering if in the meanwhile the package has been
| compiled also for OpenMPI. Does anybody use RScalapack and has any
| suggestions?

Debian has had Scalapack for years, but is was also built against the wrong
or inconvenient libraries.   I'd be in favour of giving this a shot -- it is
obviously the next step up from "just" using something like multithreaded
blas on a single machine.

That said, it also appears to be somewhat involved to get it all going: You
may well be almost on your own.  Then again, whenever I had questions or
buglets with Open MPI I have found that community to be most helpful.  So if
you have the energy give it a go and folks here, myself included, may get a
chance to help.

Also, did you talk to RScaLAPACK's maintainers at all?  They should probably
have an interest in moving from LAM to Open MPI as well.

Regards, Dirk