[R-sig-hpc] snow and foreach memory issue?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sun Dec 13 19:47:22 CET 2009

Martin Morgan wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> The pseudo code is as follows:
>> someFunc = function(cl,...) {
>>
>> for ( i in 1:n) {
>>     model = generateModel(Y[,i],X_mat)
>>     dp=iter(datapoints, by='row',
>> chunksize=floor(nrow(datapoints)/NUMCORES))
>>
>>     assign("model", model, .GlobalEnv) 		#couldn't figure out how
>> to get cluster export to work within a function.
>>     clusterExport(cl, "model") 			#this only reads from
>> globalenv?
>>
>>     pred <- do.call(c, clusterApply(cl, as.list(dp), function(x)
>
> as.list(iter(datapoints, <etc>)) makes a full copy of datapoints.
> clusterApply creates another copy, distributed across cores. So if
> they're on the same machine you now use 3 * sizeof(datapoints) memory,
> even before any calculations done on the workers. Ouch.
>
> A first approach might iter(datapoints, chunksize=nrow(datapoints) / N)
> coupled with clusterApplyLB -- there will be N chunks (assuming N >
> NUMCORES), and clusterApplyLB will only ever have in play a portion
> NUMCORES / N of datapoints (clusterApply would divide the N chunks into
> two groups, again forwarding the entire data to the workers!), so the
> memory use will be (2 + NUMCORES / N) * sizeof(datapoints).
>
> A better approach is to avoid the duplication implied by
> as.list(iter(<etc>)). This would require an implementation like
> snow::dynamicClusterApply, where the first NUMCORES chunks of iter() are
> forwarded to the workers, and then a loop is entered where the manager
> receives one result and forwards the next chunk to the worker that
> provided the result. Memory use would then be (1 + NUMCORES / N) *
> sizeof(datapoints). Presumably this is the strategy taken by %dopar%.
>
> multicore should be the winner here, though, since all workers should
> have access to the data without copying -- sizeof(datapoints) memory
> use. I haven't used multicore extensively, and especially not on
> windows. When you say "it didn't work well" it would be helpful to
> understand why. My limited experimentation suggested no problems when
> used with data sets that were not too close to the windows memory
> limits. Perhaps you are really just running out of memory, and multicore
> is not reporting this as nicely as it could? I'm sure the multicore
> author would appreciate something more precise in terms of user experience.
>
> A final consideration is that calculations on the workers are likely to
> duplicate a subset of datapoints, so that actual memory use will include
> an additional component that scales approximately linearly with
> NUMCORES. If the worker computations are memory intensive, then you'll
> quickly find yourself in trouble again.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Martin
>

>> predict(model, x))

>> }
>>
>> }
>>
>> When I ran this code, my ram would go up from the initial 2.5
>> incrementally up 500 mb after each run until it ate up 4 GB. So for

I guess my previous response doesn't really address this pattern; it
suggests that something is being retained across iterations of the for()
loop, perhaps because in the code you don't show us (...) you retain a
reference to a 500mb object (iter(datapoints)? pred?) that you don't
retain in the code below.

Martin