[R-sig-hpc] snow and foreach memory issue?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Dec 11 21:05:21 CET 2009

On 11 December 2009 at 14:35, Zhang, Ivan wrote:
| I have a question regarding ram usage of snow and foreach.
| I am running windows XP with 4 gb ram and intel quadcore 2.66.

That is not a lot of ram and your main problem. You will be much happier with
a 64bit OS (which typically means Linux or OS X, but can be Windows if you
want to become a REvo customer) and more ram -- which you need to share among
all your cores.

Martin Morgan made this an explicit point in our 'parallel R' survey paper:
available ram is likely to be a binding constraint.

Dirk