[R-sig-hpc] multicore mclapply hangs when 'debug' loaded

Rune Schjellerup Philosof rphilosof at health.sdu.dk
Mon Aug 10 15:15:46 CEST 2009

Dirk Eddelbuettel skrev:
> On 10 August 2009 at 13:55, Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
> | When I execute mclapply it creates the needed processes, but these
> | processes never begin computing anything, they just wait indefinitely.

I discovered that it occurs when I have loaded the 'debug' package at
the same time as the 'multicore' package.
However, I use a version of the 'debug' package that hasn't been
released yet.
Still though, it also some times happen when I don't have 'debug' loaded
(I just realized because of the sessionInfo included below).
But at the moment I have to load the 'debug' package to make the bug
appear (just loading mvbutils does not cause the effect).

> Would you have a reproducible example?

Start R --vanilla:
library(debug)
library(multicore)
example(mclapply)

> | I recently upgraded to version 2.9.1, which might have caused the problem.
>
> That would surprise me but one never knows.

I mention it because the debug package stopped working because of
non-backwards-compatible changes.