[R-sig-hpc] error response under interactive rmpi

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Apr 23 23:14:22 CEST 2009

I like to launch OpenMPI (1.2 under Debian) so that I have an
interactive R on rank 0, with the rest being slaves.

Whenever I make any kind of error, I get the error message and then
Execution halted

The session appears to be dead after that; it won't respond to anything
I type.  I do ^c to get out.

I think the problem is that interactive() is FALSE in this environment
(I'm running in a shell under emacs, if that matters).  rmpi does not
change the default error handling as far as I can tell:
getOption("error") is NULL.

I've worked around this by saying
options(error=recover)
which seems servicable.  I don't know how to recover the standard
interactive error behavior.

If anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them.  Also, if anyone
has setup ESS in an MPI environment, I'm curious about that too.  I
guess I could just launch emacs from my outer level shell script that
mpirun invokes.

We don't currently have any scheduling or resource management.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062