[R-sig-hpc] How to install R on a linux cluster.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 21 17:25:02 CEST 2009

On 21 April 2009 at 10:38, Richard Yanicky wrote:
| This might be common knowledge. I am looking to have a system admin install
| R on our linux cluster is there general documentation or a documentation
| resource that would help me direct him on how to do this? If additional
| information is needed please let me know.

On Debian / Ubunti all you need to get going is

   $ sudo apt-get install r-base r-cran-mpi r-cran-snow

and you have R with MPI and the snow wrapper package. Not a bad place to
start as per the Schmidberger er al paper surveying parallel computing with
Linux.

There is no magic bullet -- Linux elements in a cluster are still 'just'
Linux machines.  So use the tools of the distro you (or your sysadmin) are
familiar with.  I like Debian/Ubuntu; you may want to look at Scientific
Linux which is Fedora-based but I am not sure how much R content you find
there.

Dirk