[R-sig-hpc] snow, socket cluster: problem with path to rscript

Steve Weston steve at revolution-computing.com
Fri Apr 17 18:53:04 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> For what it is worth, I cannot do that either on Ubuntu at work, yet snow
> works just fine:
>
> edd at l1:~$ telnet l2 10187
> Trying xxx.xx.50.99...
> edd at l1:~$ telnet l1 10187
> Trying xxx.xx.50.97...

Perhaps I'm confused, but it looks like your telnets are going the
wrong way.  The telnets are supposed to be acting like the slave
processes connecting back to the master.  So they would be
running on l1 and l2, but connecting back to the master, where
"socketConnection(port=10871, server=TRUE)" is executing.

The master process in snow is running socketConnection with
almost the same arguments in order to create the cluster,
so it seems like an important experiment to me.  The only
reason that it should fail that I can think of is due to a firewall,
as Luke pointed out.

At this point, I would be running R under gdb, and maybe doing
some packet sniffing.  I'm not sure what else to suggest.

--
Steve Weston
REvolution Computing