[R-sig-hpc] snow, socket cluster: problem with path to rscript

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 10:52:29 CEST 2009

luke at stat.uiowa.edu a écrit :
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
>
>> Steve Weston a écrit :

>>> This tells you is that "something went wrong".  The basic strategy
>>> in this case
>>> is to use the "outfile" option to hopefully capture an error
>>> message.  You might
>>> need to set outfile differently for different slaves, particularly if
>>> you're starting
>>> more than one on the same machine, but I suggest just starting one
>>> slave
>>> on 210 to avoid the issue.  So do something like:

>>> +                       outfile="/tmp/log.txt")

>> Ok, thanks for pointing out this methid.
>>
>> I tried it and got following error message. This does not seem not be
>> computer specific (tried to do it to other host 213, and from other
>> host 213 to 212, always same error message):
>>
>> starting worker for ubuntu:10187 Error in socketConnection(master,
>> port = port, blocking = TRUE, open = "a+b") : unable to open connection
>>
>> Calls: local ... slaveLoop -> recvData -> makeSOCKmaster ->
>> socketConnection
>>
>> In addition: Warning message:
>>
>> In socketConnection(master, port = port, blocking = TRUE, open =
>> "a+b") :
>>
>> ubuntu:10187 cannot be opened
>>
>> Execution halted
>>

>> Is it related to ssh or snow? I did not find any reference to that
>> prob googling for it...
>
> It is an issue with your ability to make a socket connection to the
> master. Most likely the master computer has a firewall that is
> blocking connections to the port snow uses.  Try turning the firewall
> off or at least enabling the port in the error message.
> A simple test is to do
>
>     socketConnection(port = 10187, server = TRUE)
>
> in an R session on the master and
>
>     telnet ubuntu 10187
>
> in a shell on your worker machine (assumign your master is called
> ubuntu) (or you can use R and
>
>     socketConnection("ubuntu", port = 10187)
>
> in an R session on the worker).
>
> luke

Thanks Luke and Dirk for your help!

I don't think it is a firewall error, as both machines have all port
open (as default with iptables as I understood), and the admin of the
network opened even port 10187.

I tried first the three solutions suggested, none of them seem to give
good results:

$telnet 192.100.100.212 10187

Trying 192.100.100.212...

R>socketConnection(port = 10187, server=TRUE)

#nothing happens... is it right?

R > socketConnection("192.100.100.212", port = 10187)

Erreur dans socketConnection("192.100.100.212", port = 10187) :

  impossible d'ouvrir la connexion

De plus : Warning message:

In socketConnection("192.100.100.212", port = 10187) :

  192.100.100.212:10187 cannot be opened

Same error message when using "ubuntu"/ dsge at 192.100.100.212 etc..

Going to a ubuntu forum, someone told that one has to open a server on
the port (excuse, explanations are not good as I don't understand that
much the subject :-( ).
So launching in the master (212):

$nc -l -p 10187

then one is able to  have in 210:

$telnet 192.100.100.212 10187

Trying 192.100.100.212...

Connected to 192.100.100.212.

Escape character is '^]'.

So it seems that it is working, but there is then no effect on the
previous commands socketConnection, makeCluster, still claims that 10187
can't be open.

With those elements, do you guys see clearer or is it even darker?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Matthieu