[R-sig-hpc] snow, socket cluster: problem with path to rscript

Steve Weston steve at revolution-computing.com
Tue Apr 14 14:31:20 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 5:29 AM, Matthieu Stigler
<matthieu.stigler at gmail.com> wrote:

> So it is now working for the local computer with. However, when trying to
> use the external computer, it seems to be working but nothing happens after
> he asked for the last password...

This tells you is that "something went wrong".  The basic strategy in this case
is to use the "outfile" option to hopefully capture an error message.  You might
need to set outfile differently for different slaves, particularly if
you're starting
more than one on the same machine, but I suggest just starting one slave
on 210 to avoid the issue.  So do something like:

> host210 <- list(host = "mat at 192.100.100.210", rscript = "/usr/bin/Rscript",
+                       outfile="/tmp/log.txt")
> cl2 <- makeCluster(list(host210), type = "SOCK")

If it hangs, go to another terminal, ssh to 192.100.100.210, and look at
the contents of /tmp/log.txt, and hopefully that will provide a clue to
the problem.

Another approach is to use the "manual" option.  That will print the
command that you should use to manually start each of the slaves.
You just ssh to that machine from another terminal, and cut and paste
the printed command to start the slave.  If you set "outfile" to an empty
string, then output messages will go right to that terminal.

--
Steve Weston
REvolution Computing