[R-sig-hpc] Problem with Rmpi and snow - makeCluster(type="MPI") not working

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 25 15:05:41 CET 2008

On 25 November 2008 at 09:12, Rainer M Krug wrote:
| Some more info:
|
| the following implementations of MPI are installed:
|
| OpenMPI 1.2.6 - compiled with GNU 4.2.1
| /usr/local/openmpi_gnu/
|
| OpenMPI 1.2.6 - compiled with SunStudio 12
| /usr/local/openmpi_sun
|
| MPICH2 1.0.8 - compile with GNU 4.2.1
| /usr/local/mpich2-1.0.8_gnu

Which means that configure and Rmpi could find (at least) three different
versions of mpi.h and libmpi, and that you have six possible combinations of
mpi.h and libmpi.

In the past, I had one, two or three of lam, open mpi and mpich installed as
Debian versions on the same machine.  I now much prefer to have exactly one
MPI installed -- open mpi -- as this makes things a lot easier.  I would
recommend to temporarily remove/rename two of the three and test if that
results in a successful build. You probably also want the same compiler you
used for R.

Hth, Dirk