[R-sig-hpc] Help installing sprng libraries

Stefan Theussl stefan.theussl at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Dec 11 15:39:20 CET 2008

David Marra wrote:
> Hi Stefan/Everyone,
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. I am getting the following message now:
>
> Warning message:
> package ‘rsprng’ is not available
Yes, I see. I'm not a Mac OS X expert, I only use it from time to time
within my R-Forge work.

Anyway, there are two more things I forgot:

1) You need of course the right sprng library for your architecture. As
far as I understood you'd like to run code on 64 bit R, then you need of
course to get the 64 bit sprng from Na Li's website (this was not the
case as far as I see from your initial mail).

2) Mac OS X has a binary package repository (the default) where rsprng
is obviously not available.
That means you have to install rsprng via

install.packages("rsprng", configure.args="LD_FLAGS=\"-lgmp\"
--with-sprng=/pathto/lib/sprng", type="source")

the latter argument indicates that you want to access the source part of
CRAN (the package tarballs).

This works for me (at least when using 32 bit R and sprng on Leopard)
but introduces a new problem:

 > install.packages("rsprng", configure.args="LD_FLAGS=\"-lgmp\"
--with-sprng=/Users/theussl/lib/sprng", type="source")
trying URL 'http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/rsprng_0.4.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 36435 bytes (35 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 35 Kb

* Installing *source* package 'rsprng' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
Try to find sprng.h ...
Found in /Users/theussl/lib/sprng/include
Try to find libsprng.a ...
Found in /Users/theussl/lib/sprng/lib
Try to find libgmp.a if we need it ...
checking for main in -lgmp... no
libgmp not found. exiting...
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rsprng'
** Removing '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/rsprng'

The downloaded packages are in
        /private/tmp/RtmpmMmU4y/downloaded_packages
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning message:
In install.packages("rsprng", configure.args = "LD_FLAGS=\"-lgmp\"
--with-sprng=/Users/theussl/lib/sprng",  :
  installation of package 'rsprng' had non-zero exit status

But this is the point where my knowledge ends. I don't know if the GMP
library is somewhere available in binary form. In the worst case you
have to compile it yourself.

Best,
Stefan

> Any thoughts?
>
> David
>
> On Dec 11, 2008, at 10:50 PM, Stefan Theussl wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> it seems to me that your unpacked sprng library and header files are
>> not in a standard path. If so, you can install rsprng directly from R
>> using
>> install.packages("rsprng", configure.args =
>> "--with-sprng=/path/to/your/unpacked/sprng")
>>
>> Best,
>> Stefan
>>
>> David Marra wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I need help installing sprng libraries to enable use of rspring and
>>> Rmpi packages. The machine is a Mac Pro 8 core machine running OS X
>>> 10.5.5 Leopard and 64-bit R.
>>>
>>> So far, I have downloaded a SPRNG binary file, sprng-2.0a-i386-
>>> darwin.tar.bz2, from Na Li's
>>> website:http://www.biostat.umn.edu/~nali/SoftwareListing.html .
>>>
>>> In Terminal I did two commands:
>>> which produced the following output: