[R-sig-hpc] Sun Grid Engine (SGE) and Rsge package

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 11:11:20 CET 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Dan Bode <dbode at univaud.com> wrote:
> The file transfer still relies on full reads and writes on the filesystem, just fixed a bug that could cause objects to be written more than once in some cases.

OK.

> Maybe one day I can sit and think about ways to speed it up, I wanted to optimize memory usage, but I didnt want to go that low level with the R language.
>
> The pre and post processing is heavy but something similar will be required with any solution. This function is only recommended for applications that have a good ratio of data size to compute time.

Yes - that is exactly what I need: long processing, and no
communication between the different processes. So mty approcah will
work nicely with Rsge. Tge only reason why I tried to use snow and
Rmpi / mpi was because it seemed the easiest approach.  But Rsge is
much easier.

> I have only ever gotten snow to work with the client server method (tcp mode). I was thinking about using it as the base code for the project, but there was a feature that I did not like, something about the timing of job completions or something, I have to search through my notes to find what it was. (my package actually requires snow, because it uses its same function for splitting)

OK - I was wondering already.

> I have never used Rmpi, mpi can be tricky though, you may want to ask your sge admin (which is a fun and rewarding job :) if they can assist you with setting up the Parallel execution environments.

I spoke to them, and they heve not used R and have therefore no
experience in how to use Rmpi and snow. In addition, the main admin
was given the job in addition to his other duties...
The parallel environment with MPI is working - that's fine.

> I ported Rsge from Rlsf which provided support for Rmpi, porting the Rmpi stuff was not a requirement, so I havent gotten around to it. There is some commented out code on in the remote execution script that refers to the Rmpi stuff. It could be added with some work, but again, I am not sure when I will find the time.
>
> To be sure, you need message passing for your algorithm? There is some kind of boundary condition or something? I just have to ask because I see alot of people using MPI where it could be easy to rework the algorithm to fit into the scatter-gather paradigm. MPI adds a lot of additional complexity to anything that it touches.

As mentioned above, I don't need any communication between the nodes
(at the moment), so Rsge will be perfect.

Thanks

Rainer