[R-gui] Help test new JGR launchers

Ian Fellows ian.fellows at stat.ucla.edu
Sun Aug 4 20:27:20 CEST 2013

Hi All,

While the current JGR R console launchers for Windows and Mac work well for most people, there is a minority for which the launchers fail. This can occur when R has unusual library paths, or in some cases upon upgrading R.

For this reason I've created new windows and mac launchers which I hope will be more robust to the wide range of possible R installs, but I only have a few limited systems to test on.

That is where you come in...

If you are interested in giving them a try, please do the following:

1. You will need to be able to install packages from source. If you run into trouble on this step, install rtools (on windows) or xcode (on mac).

In R run:
#ensure all dependancies are present...
install.packages("JGR")

#download and install new versions of iplots and JGR
download.file("http://www.fellstat.com/files/JGR/iplots_1.1-6.tar.gz",
	"iplots_1.1-6.tar.gz")
install.packages("iplots_1.1-6.tar.gz",repos=NULL,type="source")
download.file("http://www.fellstat.com/files/JGR/JGR_1.7-16.tar.gz",
	"JGR_1.7-16.tar.gz")
install.packages("JGR_1.7-16.tar.gz",repos=NULL,type="source")

2. Now try launching the console from within R:

library(JGR)
launchJGR()

3. Now try the new launchers.

If you are on a mac, download:
http://www.fellstat.com/files/JGR/JGR2.dmg
Double click on it to launch it to mount the image, and then double click on JGR.app

If you are on windows, download and double click on:
http://www.fellstat.com/files/JGR/jgr2.exe

If you run into a problem, please help us debug it with the following information.

1. The complete output and steps to reproduce the problem.

2. In R and in JGR (if you can get it to run) include the complete output of:
library(JGR)
R.home()
.libPaths()
sessionInfo()