[R-gui] Good Tcl/tk widget reference?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Fri Sep 17 22:29:30 CEST 2010

I don't know of a single good reference, installed with R is the help files for tcltk, this has lots of detail including all the options and that information, but it is in the tcl syntax, not R and translating to R can be tricky in some cases.

There were a couple of tutorials examples in the R newsletter (now the R journal) a few years back that gave a good starting place, but not the detail on all widgets etc.

I personally often refer to the perlTk book, but that is only helpful for those of us with experience in Perl and I still need to translate to R syntax.

So the only real option is to combine various things, the tcl documentation, examples of R syntax (the newsletter and existing code), and a bit of trial and error to figure out what works.

The one upside is that you can ask questions without fear of getting a RTFM response.

I think Tk with R is still a bit too much of a niche area that no one has written the document yet that covers everything that you want.

Hope this helps a little, sorry it is not what you had hoped for.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org