[R-gui] your favourite spreadsheet-like data viewer or editor?

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 07:13:03 CEST 2010

Dear all
I've been looking for a solution to this problem ever since I started
learning R, and I still haven't found one I'm comfortable with. And I
would rather avoid exporting and importing into a spreadsheet just for
this. I am looking for a data viewer/editor that could, among other
things:
- have a 'view' mode (not an 'edit only' mode, to avoid bugs or
unintended modifications)
- have a 'filter' view mode (not a data-modifying subset)
- have a 'sort' view mode (not a data-modifying sort operation)
- select multiple rows/cols
- select multiple individual cells

Here's a list of what I've found sofar:
- View()/Edit(): rudimentary interface; don't interact very well with
tcltk (Rcmdr) on Linux
- relimp::showData(): nice viewer, but too often too unstable; lacks
most of the features above
- tcltk2::tk2edit(): allows multiple row/col/cell selections; has no
'view' mode nor 'filter' or 'sort', and pops up scary errors whenever
'cancelling' changes
- rdataviewer: the interface is too exotic for my habits, and lacks
most of the features above
- RGtk2Extras::dfedit(): allows multiple cell selections and can
perform a 'sort' and displays several features in the c-menu; it is
quite slow on my system with 'iris', no 'view' mode; since it uses
RGtk2 it interacts very badly with tcltk (Rcmdr)
- playwith: features a nice viewer hidden in Labels > Select from
table, but it is awkwardly located, with no advanced features, and
RGtk2 based
- JGR/Deducer::data.viewer(): includes a nifty data editor, perhaps my
favourite from this list, but it is a bit awkward to use when using an
editor different than JGR (console monopolization); it also lacks a
'view' and 'filter' mode as well well as select multiple rows/cols; it
can sort, but not easily when outside JGR

Anything that I've missed? Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?