[R-gui] About biocep + answer to your question about running the workbench

Karim Chine karim.chine at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:20:00 CET 2009

Dear Bengoechea,

Thank you very much for your email. since you are using windows, I
suggest that you run the workbench using one of the zip files available
here :
http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org//doc.html#Deliverables
(For windows section)

For all operating systems including windows, you can just type on the
command line : java -jar {some_directory}/biocep.jar
after downloading the biocep.jar :
http://biocep-distrib.r-forge.r-project.org/appletlibs/biocep.jar

if you would like to enforce biocep to use the packages (rJava ... ) you
have installed yourself, you have to use :
java -Duse.default.libs=true -jar {some_directory}/biocep.jar

then choose "Create New R Server" , choose "On My Machine", OK

Answering your questions on R-GUI, I have already asked Philippe
Grosjean twice to add a link to my project to the R GUI Projects page,
but nothing happened.
Regarding the documentation and the project status :
I have not released the project yet, the documentation is as you said
less than minimal and I will need time to write it down.
All this can seem too slow but I am in charge of everything related to
the project (research & prototyping, design & implementation,
documentation, Website, Evangelization,..)
The workbench is only one part of a very ambitious computational
platform that includes distributed computing frameworks and toolkits,
Web Service generators, Cloud and Grid components, Collaborative
features and I am  very close to a release that will happen for sure
before the next use R! confrence (where I will be giving a tutorial).
Most of the workbench's features are ready. I will be available to give
webinars and support about using the workbench to users who are willing
to be early adopters, to report bugs and major usability problems,to
write tutorials or to develop plugins.

Best wishes,

Karim