[R-gui] GPL licensing issues with a commercial R GUI

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue May 13 16:50:15 CEST 2008

On 5/13/2008 7:46 AM, Serge Merzliakov wrote:
> This is exactly what I would like to do. There would be some text editor
> type functionality which would then be run through R and the outpur
> displayed.

In your original post, you asked for feedback from the core development
team.  But what you really need is feedback from a lawyer who
understands copyright and the GPL.

I would assume that some copyright holder will aggressively enforce the
GPL.  It is not enough for one or two copyright holders to tell you to
go ahead, you have to have agreement from all of them if you are
violating the GPL.  The copyright in R is held quite widely, so I would
guess it is not practical to get that sort of permission.  Similarly, I
don't think it would be practical to get permission from a subset of the
copyright holders and rewrite the parts you don't have permission to use.

On the other hand, if what you are doing falls within the GPL, then you
already have permission to do it.

The core development team does not know about subtleties of copyright
law so it is not in a position to tell you whether what you want to do
is GPL compatible or not.  If you're not sure that what you are doing is
legal, ask a lawyer, don't ask us.

Duncan Murdoch