[R-gui] GPL licensing issues with a commercial R GUI

Serge Merzliakov smerzlia at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 11 14:19:49 CEST 2008

All,
  I am interested in devloping a commercial java-based (why the language
is important is discussed later) GUI for R. The app would allow the GUI
to edit R commands and the results displayed in varios means. I have
investigated various java based libraries to invoke R and they follow
the apache license model (friendlier to commercial software developers).
I understand the that R is released under the GPL license, which I have
a reasonable understanding of.  SO my question is simple, Can I develop
a a commerical GUI for R (which would require R to be isntalled
separately on the machine) without having to also release my source code ?

I am hoping that some of core R development team see this and can
provide useful feedback.

Regards,
Serge