[R-gui] svalue(gtable)

NOEL Yvonnick yvonnick.noel at free.fr
Wed Jun 25 11:58:44 CEST 2008

Hello,

Many thanks to John Verzani and Michael Lawrence for providing those
very useful libraries gWidgets and RGtk2.

I am facing the following problem with some code that used to work: the
gWidgets command svalue(some.gtable.widget) does not seem to work.

I can reproduce the error by using the first example in the gtable help
file:

m <- getCRANmirrors()[,c(1,4)]
setCRAN <- function(URL) { ## see chooseCRANmirror
   repos = getOption("repos")
   repos["CRAN"] <- gsub("/$", "", URL)
   options(repos=repos)
}
w <- gwindow("gtable example",width=400)
gp = ggroup(horizontal=FALSE, cont=w)
tab <- gtable(m, chosencol = 2, cont=gp, expand=TRUE,
     handler = function(h,...) setCRAN(svalue(h$obj)))
bg <- ggroup(cont=gp)
addSpring(bg)
gbutton("dismiss", cont=bg, handler = function(h,...) dispose(w))

Then, selecting one of the elements, and trying to get access to the
gtable value, I get:

 > svalue(tab)
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
   unable to find an inherited method for function ".svalue", for
signature "gGridRGtk", "guiWidgetsToolkitRGtk2", "NULL", "NULL"

Is this a problem related to the recent redefinition of the svalue
method as generic?

Thanks a lot,

Yvonnick Noel, PhD
University of Brittany at Rennes, France