[R-gui] [Rd] R GUI considerations

Jeffrey J. Hallman m1jjh00 at frb.gov
Thu Oct 20 19:38:49 CEST 2005

>>>>> "ht" == Hin-Tak Leung <hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk> writes:
  ht> But what *functionality* one wants from a GUI? Here is a short
  ht> wishlist:
  ht> (1) some common user commands selectable via pull-down menus -
  ht> e.g. choosing CRAN mirror, download/upgrade packages, open file,
  ht> run file, etc, save file.
  ht> (2) some common development commands (IDE) menus e.g. single-stepping,
  ht> switching on debugging, etc.
  ht> (3) data editor
  ht> (4) object browser/navigator for currently used internal data
  ht> (5) code editor with syntax high-lighting
  ht> (6) documentation viewing/search
  ht> (7) some customizability and extensibility - e.g. adding my own
  ht> menus, etc.

(8) readable code for doing the above
(9) ability to create my own screens, not limited to simply yes/no dialogs and menus

and in the nice-to-have, but not strictly necessary category

(10) interactive menu and layout editors

Jeff