[R-gui] Pretty Wild Stuff: Mono, MyXaml & MyXaml Visual Designer

James.Callahan at CityofOrlando.net James.Callahan at CityofOrlando.net
Thu May 27 03:09:15 CEST 2004

Egads!
My tiny department just lost another employee today to an internal
transfer.
My (previously light) workload will probably double or quadruple.

But, my after hours research as turned up some pretty wild stuff,
mainly the combination of Mono and MyXaml. They seem to be
developing at warp speed this month.

Just type "Mono MyXaml" in Google.

Again, I don't know the short term solutions, but this looks like one path
code development
may take in the next several years -- an incredibly feverish pace of
development this month.

Mono is an open source "embrace and extend" cross platform implementation
of C# and the CLR (core of MS .Net).
Which is a bit like saying Linux is a Posix compatible operating system
kernel.  GNU's Complier Collection (GCC),
Emacs and X11 are what made Linux really useful.

MyXaml is an open source (GPL) "preview" of MS XAML (application mark-up
language).
         http://myxaml.com/

        http://myxaml.com/whitePapers/whatIsXAML.htm

Marc Clifton has released a  visual designer for MyXaml. The MyXaml Visual
Designer
looks like an effective GUI builder thatmay make Mono truly useful.
MyXaml Visual Designer has a free (as in "free beer") version, but
unfortunately is not GPLed.
http://myxaml.com/marcclifton/archive/2004/04/14/210.aspx

Some sample interfaces
http://myxaml.com/marcclifton/archive/2004/05/16/283.aspx
http://myxaml.com/marcclifton/archive/2004/05/09/264.aspx

Licensing issues with MyXaml and MyXaml Visual Designer
         http://www.myxaml.com/licensing.htm
http://myxaml.com/marcclifton/archive/2004/03/20/147.aspx

Is The Designer Open Source?
http://myxaml.com/marcclifton/archive/2004/04/14/210.aspx
No.  The designer utilizes third party libraries which require developer
seat licensing,
and therefore we cannot distribute the designer as an open source
application.

* * *
Will There Be A Commercial Version?
Yes.  The commercial version is planned to be a complete development
environment for MyXaml-based applications.

Will There Always Be A Free Version?
Yes.  It will have fewer features however as compared to the commercial
version.

I'm Having Problems With The Designer.  Where Do I Ask Questions?
I've created a forum for asking questions, discussing problems, feature
requests, etc.

MyXaml works with Mono and can run on Linux.
        http://myxaml.com/marcclifton/archive/2004/05/10/268.aspx

Wow, I'm impressed.  It took about 30 minutes to install Mono, create a
little batch file to compile the core parser engine, and write a little
Hello MyXaml application.  And it worked!  No code changes necessary at
all!!!

MyXaml Ported to Linux
http://myxaml.com/marcclifton/archive/2004/04/30/237.aspx

By the way, a good link on installing Mono (on Windows XP).
HelloMono - Mono on Windows XP
By Will Senn
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/hellomono.asp

Fascinating stuff. Hope it helps.
Gotta get some dinner -- it is 9:00 PM local time.

Personal opinions from after hours research tangentially related to
work...

Jim Callahan
Management, Budget & Accounting
City of Orlando