[R-gui] wxPython R GUI toolkit

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Fri May 7 02:15:39 CEST 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Philippe Grosjean wrote:
> you think it should be possible to make a core R code, and make the "widget
> part" interchangeable. That is, and application like R Commander that uses

Phillipe,

Yes, that would be great!

Since my last post, I have played around with wxPython a bit
more, and have now written a wxMessageBox function which
works in almost exactly the same way as the tkMessageBox
function,
e.g.
wxMessagesBox(title="Title",message="Message",
  type="yesnocancel",icon="question")

even though in wxPython's wxMessageDialog you would actually use
flags like:
 wxOK | wxICON_INFORMATION
etc.

i.e. I've written a wrapper to make it look more like
tkMessageBox().

So yes, I am thinking that it would be nice to have all GUI
toolkits look similar from R, but there is a bit of work to
do... especially because wxWindows is object-oriented, whereas
Tcl/Tk is not.

Regards,
James