[R-gui] FXPy R Gui toolkit?

Greg Riddick gr3k at virginia.edu
Tue May 4 21:59:19 CEST 2004

>My experience under Windows NT/2000 has tended to agree with Zed
>in that wxWindows is not easy to build, especially if you are
>trying to do it with MinGW's g++ (or even cygwin), rather than
>Visual C++.  Most wxWindows/wxWidgets experts would advise you
>to use Visual C++, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to build
>R packages with MinGW or similar?

I've used wxWidgets on Windows and I don't think it's that hard to compile.
It works very well with DevC++ which comes bundled with the MingW compiler.
See: http://www.wxwindows.org/devcpp.htm

Also, I don't think an extra meg or two of libraries it that big of a deal.
Especially since the R base distribution is approaching 20 megs on some platforms.

> Would going through wxPython
>or similar simplify compilation issues of wxWindows source code,
>but still present linking issues?

No linking issues with wxPython b/c wxWidgets is just a pre-compiled library in this case.
Widgets are created dynamically by Python at run time. Python is easy to work with, but might as well make the whole gui compiled code IMHO.