[R-gui] Got Mono?

James.Callahan at CityofOrlando.net James.Callahan at CityofOrlando.net
Sat May 1 04:38:31 CEST 2004

GOT MONO?
As to the current topic of which widget set to use today for R user
interfaces -- I have no idea.

In the long run (see Keynes quote in signature), IMHO the R/Omegahat
community will be writing to Java/VM (as in Omegahat) or Mono/CLR (no stat
project yet).

What I've learned from the websites -- warning -- I haven't actually used
any of this stuff!!!!!

Short version: Mono 1.0 June 30th, multi-platform (Suse, Red Hat, Fedora,
Mac OS 10.3 & Fedora Core 1 & 2) and will support GTK# and Glade.
It will be possible to run some Java programs in Mono on June 30th because
of IKVM version 0.8 and the GNU Classpath libraries.

"The Mono Project is a project that aims to bring the Common Language
Infrastructure [CLI] platform to free systems. "
http://www.gotmono.com/

"The Mono project is an open source effort sponsored by Novell to create a
free implementation of the .NET Development Framework. "
http://www.go-mono.com/

Miguel de Icaza's (of Gnome fame) web log links to justifications of the
Mono project
http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/activity-log.php

points to a new short term Mono 1.0 road map, the longer-term road map is
still available.
http://www.go-mono.com/road-to-1.0.html

*** Mono 1.0 launch date is the end of June (June 30th).***

There will be at least two betas (May 4th and June 1st).

Mono will support gtk-sharp (gtk#)
Gtk# is a .Net language binding for the gtk+ toolkit and assorted GNOME
libraries.  Gtk# is free software, licensed under the GNU LGPL.
http://gtk-sharp.sourceforge.net/
GTK has a form designer called Glade.

WHAT DOES  MONO/GTK#/IKVM  MEAN FOR R / OMEGAHAT?

In the short run, nothing.
In the long run, I don't know.
But, here is my guess anyway (don't you hate that).

1. Mono 1.0 will launch with C#, but without a GCC compatible complier.
Miguel's blog (18 April 2004) points to potential source code for
    a starting point for creating a managed C++ compiler with a GCC
compatible front end. But, AFAIK there isn't even a project yet.

2. Without a GCC compatible complier, porting R itself would be very
difficult if not impossible. In addition to GCC -- what else would be
needed?

3. Until a GCC compatible compiler is available, IKVM could be used to see
whether the Mono/IKVM environment supports Omegahat's Java code.
See link on Miguel's blog for "Java, Gtk and Mono" -- Miguel compiles an
obligatory "Hello World" in IKVM.
http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel//texts/gtkjava.html

4. The fancy phrase for editors these days is "Integrated Development
Environment (IDE)." There are at least two choices. MonoDevelop and
Eclipse.
    Monodevelop is an opensource IDE developed for .NET that will run in
Mono and Eclipse is a Java based IDE that runs in Java and can run in IKVM
(see screenshots on IKVM and Mono  websites). Monodevelop and Eclipse both
support syntax highlighting -- how hard will it be to implement R syntax
highlighting?

Mondevelop /  Sharp Develop (as I write the Monodevelop.com link times
out)
http://www.monodevelop.com/
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Eclipse:
http://www.eclipse.org/

5. Once a GCC compatible compiler is available in Mono --- subject to the
availability of libraries -- compiling R becomes an option. If R can be
compiled then there are a lot of tests and benchmarks to be run to test
for: numeric accuracy, speed, usability.

6. Eventually, some or all of R may be re-written in C#  (but don't hold
your breath).  One of the reasons for Omegahat was to avoid the tedious,
unproductive chore or rewriting the same old software. -- again and again

Does any of  this make sense?
Will any of this really happen?
When?

DISCLAIMER\ This is my guesswork -- without seeing -- let al...{{dropped}}