[R-gui] R-wxPython and dynamic linking issues

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jun 23 09:47:48 CEST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Vaidotas Zemlys wrote:
> > getMethod("wxShow","wxDialog")
<snip>
> No errors. Or there shouldn't be any?

No.  There shouldn't be any errors.  The only reason I mentioned
'getMethod' is that people on this list may not be familiar with
S4 object-oriented programming in R, using the methods package.
The R-wxPython interface I've been working on uses S4 methods,
so for example, when you type:

wxShow(dlg)

the method (i.e. function) called depends on the class of the
object "dlg".  If dlg is of class "wxDialog", then the method called
will be the one described by getMethod("wxShow","wxDialog").

When you first start using S4 methods it can be difficult to
know how to see the code of an R method.  (Usually you can just
type a function name and press Enter to see its code in R.)  But
if it is an S4 method, then you have to use something like
'getMethod' to see the R code for that function.

Hope this explains my last email a bit better.

Regards,
James