[R-gui] R-wxPython and dynamic linking issues

Vaidotas Zemlys mpiktas at delfi.lt
Wed Jun 23 08:21:05 CEST 2004

Hi,

> But now, when I try to run some code from my preliminary
> R-wxPython package at:
> http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/wxPython/
>
> I get undefined symbols errors when I try to import the parser
> module, which is actually a shared library, see:
> rpm -ql python | grep "\\.so"
> /usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/parsermodule.so
>
> OR I think it might be called "parser.so" rather than
> "parsermodule.so", depending on your Python version.
>
> Currently in my R-wxPython package, the parser module is used by
> the wxDialogPython() function which is called by:
> getMethod("wxShow","wxDialog")

I've installed wxPython package and issued loaded wxPython library and called
aforementioned function, here is an output that R gave me:

> library(wxPython)
Creating a new generic function for "print" in "wxPython"
Initialized R-Python interface package.

Examples are available by typing: wxPythonUserManual()

Warning message:
the Python callback manager has been registered implicitly using the defaults
(referenceManager())!
> getMethod("wxShow","wxDialog")
Method Definition (Class "MethodDefinition"):

function (frm, ...)
{
    .local <- function (frm, envir = parent.frame(n = 2))
    {
        frm <- wxDialogPython(frm, modal = FALSE)
        wxRegisterWindow(frm, envir = envir)
        return(frm)
    }
    .local(frm, ...)
}
<environment: 0x90a1d64>

Signatures:
        frm
target  "wxDialog"
defined "wxDialog"

No errors. Or there shouldn't be any?

> When I use "import parser", I get errors like:
> Error in Python call:
> /home/users/lab0605/wettenhall/usr/local/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/parser.
> so:
>
> undefined symbol: _Py_TrueStruct

How do you use "import parser"? What should I type into R to issue such kind
of command?

Vaidotas