[R-gui] R-wxPython and dynamic linking issues

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jun 23 04:57:25 CEST 2004

Hi,

I've mentioned before that when trying to run R-wxPython in
Linux, you very quickly run up against some nasty dynamic
linking issues, where RSPython can't find certain Python symbols
in the wxPython shared libraries, so I had to rebuild wxPython
linking against a Python shared library libpython2.2.so.

But then if you want to use shared libraries distributed with
Python, such as parser.so, you need to be aware that they are
not linked against a libpython2.2.so by default either, so it is
possible to get undefined Python symbols there as well.

One workaround I am investigating is linking RSPython with:

-Wl,-whole-archive -lpython -Wl,-no-whole-archive

But I can't give R-wxPython much time this week, so I'd be happy
if anyone else wants to start playing around with this idea
before I do.

Regards,
James