[R-gui] Sciviews-R requirements

Mpiktas mpiktas at delfi.lt
Tue Jun 15 11:30:00 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I just locked the possibility to *install* SciViews-R on an older system
> than Win98SE (Second Edition). If you have the first release of Win 98, I
> think you can upgrade to Win98SE "for free" from the Microsoft Web site (I
> am little supprised to speak about something "free" from Micro$$$osft).
> Otherwise, if you really want to test it under the first Win98 release, I
> can unlock the installer for you. However, I am afraid that you will have to
> upgrade several libraries, and it is more painful than to upgrade to Win98SE
> that does all the job at once! Just consider, however, that we only tested
> SciViews-R on Win XP or 2000... I am amazed that people still want to use
> advanced statistical systems with operation systems that are more than five
> years old (is the computer as old too?)... but since you are a Linux-person,
> it make sense that you just keep an old PC in the corner of the room with an
> old Windows,... just in case ;-)
>
> If you really want to test SciViews-R on Win98, the first thing you need is
> to upgrade Internet Explorer to version 5.5 or higher. Then, ask me for the
> unlocked version of the installer.

I found the machine with win2k, where I can install Sciviews-R, so no
problems.

> To compile SciViews-R yourself, you need the sources (distributed on the Web
> site), Visual Basic Pro 6 (to be upgraded to SP5 from the Microsoft web
> site), and a few additional tools. I still have not written a page that
> explains clearly which tools you have to install (like the nice page
> explaining how to compile R from sources under Windows)... so, it may turn
> to be a very frustrating trial and error session without it!
>
> Please, note also that we are in the process of rewritting most of SciViews
> to make it platform independent. Thus, I hope that next year we will be able
> to supply a version that runs on Linux.. but it is very dependent on the
> progress made on wxPython (see another thread in this mailing list), and on
> the tcltk package.

I asked about compiling, because I want to find out how SciViews-R works. I'm
planing to implement something like Sciviews-R in Linux using Rgtk, gtk and
possibly gnome libraries. I've dowloaded the sources and I'm looking around,
to see what code is platform dependent, which should be reimplemented and how
does that code interacts with R code.  I figured that if I could compile it
would be easier to find which is which.

Vaidotas Zemlys

PS I'm resending this letter to list, since it did not appear on it.