[R-gui] tcltk MDI

Vaidotas Zemlys mpiktas at delfi.lt
Wed Jul 14 08:11:11 CEST 2004

Hi,

> > but I still haven't really had time to try MDI, as I'm still
> > spending a lot of time maintaining and supporting my existing
> > R-Tcl/Tk GUI applications, and I have found that porting
> > R-wxPython from Windows to Linux is non-trivial for several
> > reasons.  One reason is that unlike Windows, Red Hat Linux's
> > Python RPM doesn't include a shared library (libpython2.2.so) !
>
> So, your RwxPython do use Python directly for some functions, doesn't it?
> Not pass everything through RSPython.
> Anyway, do you want to try Mandrake's rpm? I think Mandrake rpm will work
> on Red Hat. the file is libpython2.2-2.2-9.1mdk.i586.rpm
> You can download it from rpmfind.net at:
> http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/updates/mnf8.2/RPMS/libpython2.2-2.2-9.1mdk.i586.html

Mixing different distribution packages could be bad idea. When there are some
things missing from your desired package is a good idea to look in -dev
packages. For example libpython2.2.so in Debian can be found in python2.2-dev
package. Maybe there is something like that in Red Hat? Another way is to
download source package (SRPM in Red Hat if I'm not mistaken) and build it
with desirable options. This way you get the package with wanted options and
you don't mess up your system.

Vaidotas Zemlys