[R-gui] [RGUI] Where do you start?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jan 19 13:49:15 MET 2004

Dear Erin,

At 12:55 PM 1/17/2004 -0600, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>Dear R-SIG-GUI:
>
>How would I start to build a GUI, please?
>Should I learn Visual Basic, please?
>
>Thanks so much in advance!

When I programmed the Rcmdr GUI, I took a look at several options including
Visual Basic, and concluded that, at present, Tcl/Tk via the tcltk package
was the way to go. The tcltk package is one of the recommended packages,
the resulting GUI works under all platforms, and the Windows distribution
of R installs with a basic Tcl/Tk system. The GUI itself can be distributed
as a standard R package.

Beyond that, it's hard to give advice since you don't specify what the GUI
will do, who will use it, on what platform(s) it will run, etc.

I hope that this helps,
  John
John Fox
Department of Sociology