[R-gui] Windows/GraphApp require package GUI

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Mon Aug 2 14:01:11 CEST 2004

Hi,

R GUI users/developers using the _Windows_ operating system
may be interested in this:

http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/Require/

install.packages("Require",
  contriburl="http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/folders/james/Require")

Following on from some recent discussion relating to John
Fox's Rcmdr (and my GUI packages limmaGUI and affylmGUI), I've
now written a GUI version of require(package), using GraphApp,
the GUI toolkit which Rgui for Windows is implemented in.  If
the required package is already installed, my function
Require(...) should behave exactly as require(...) does.

But if the required package is missing, the user should be
guided through possible installation sources:
(CRAN, Bioconductor, local repository, or local zip file),
with some dialogs and message boxes.

Let me know whether it works for you, and whether you think this
sort of thing would be useful.  I can try to write a
platform-independent version (Tcl/Tk?) as well.  But I think
the GraphApp version feels more 'native' for Windows Rgui
users.

It doesn't yet use any of the reposTools functions from
Bioconductor, but I may try to implement them at some stage.

Regards,
James