[R-gui] Status of the R-GUI

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 11 17:59:34 MEST 2003

Dear Carter,

At 08:28 AM 9/11/2003 -0700, Carter Cheng wrote:
>Thanks everyone for the prompt replies. I did actually
>check out R-Commander before but I was somewhat
>concerned that it might have stability issues. Has
>anyone had experience deploying this in a work
>environment?

Since Rcmdr is relatively new, I assume that no one has experience yet
using it in teaching a class. That will change shortly, at least in my
case. I have done a fair amount of testing, mostly under Windows, and from
the feedback that I've received, I know that quite a few people have tried
it out under a variety of OSs.

>I guess I am curious if it's mature
>enough to serve as a replacement for the SPSS system.
>Is it as full featured as the SPSS GUI?

This depends on what you intend to use the GUI for. Rcmdr is meant
primarily for basic statistics courses. It is definitely not as
full-featured as the GUI for SPSS. If you haven't yet done so, take a look
at the menu tree on the Rcmdr page at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/index>. The Rcmdr GUI
is, however, extensible, so you could, in principle, add menus and dialogs.

I hope that this answers your questions.
  John

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University