[R-gui] further on the Rcmdr package

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon May 19 22:05:47 MEST 2003

Dear R-Gui list members,

I've posted another version of the Rcmdr package to my web site, at
<http://www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/>.

Changes include many more input-error checks and improvements to a number
of dialogs, including e.g. the ability to specify a subsetting expression
for models.

A partly unresolved issue is the problem raised by Dirk Eddelbuettel on
Sunday: Dirk found that both the R session and the Commander windows locked
up after the Rcmdr package was loaded on his Debian Linux system. Following
Dirk's suggestion, I've added an option to Rcmdr to call tkwait until the
Commander window is closed. Apparently this solves the problem that Dirk
experienced, but an unfortunate consequence is that the command prompt in
the R session is disabled until the Commander window is closed. Although
this isn't a fatal problem -- commands can still be entered through the
GUI, including via the log/script window -- it would be nice to be able to
enter commands directly at the command prompt as well. I can do this when
the call to tkwait is bypassed on Windows systems and on my Red Hat Linux
system. Since no one else reported the problem, I assume that the package
also works without the call to tkwait on a number of other systems.

I'd appreciate some information and advice from those more experienced with
Tcl/Tk than I. In particular, why does the call to tkwait appear necessary
on at least one system but not on others? Is there a better way to resolve
the issue than to provide an option?

Another, though smaller, unresolved issue has to do with my inability to
use the Rcmdr package (or any tcltk-based code) with R under the MDI in
Windows. Can anyone tell me what the source of the problem is (that is, why
dialog boxes won't stay in front of the R-GUI window)? Is it likely that
the problem will be fixed? I actually prefer the SDI, but notice that most
of my students like the MDI, which is the default when the Windows
distribution of R is installed.

As usual, comments and suggestions are appreciated. I expect that I'll
submit a version of the Rcmdr package to CRAN soon.

Thanks for your help,
  John
John Fox
Department of Sociology