[R-gui] Re: [R] Feedback about SciViews?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue May 6 17:34:13 MEST 2003

Hi!

> Contrary to what others have said here, I do believe however
> that even in the front end (the GUI) many things can and should be
> abstracted in a platform independent way -- even though other
> things will be platform specific:
> - The "U" part of the GUI is always a human, with fingers for
>   typing and clicking and the visual system. {Yes I do know that UIs
>   for handicapped people are worth a big effort as well!}.
> - Even the harware part of the UI is relatively similar on all
>   platforms: Color Screen, keyboard, mouse {one problem being the
>   stubborn idea of Apple to keep one button-mice}.
> These are the reasons why there are several toolkits available cross
> platforms.

It is indeed pointless to discuss, whether _the_ frontend should be realized
in a platform independet way or not. As Philippe pointed out, there are
several frontend projects going on, and there simply is not the _one_ way to
do this. If you feel, a platform independet solution is the way to go, well,
there are projects working on cross-platform solutions. If you want to see
those prosper, and think you can make useful contributions to those projects
- I don't think anybody is going to turn down an offer to help.
However, as Phlippe pointed out, too, throwing in very general and abstract
thoughts about how things should be done, is not going to have any effect at
all, except annoying those who've already put hard work into the things you
criticise.

Thomas