[R-gui] RBackend (GUI to R communication)

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at telus.net
Sat Apr 5 02:04:25 MEST 2003

Hi,

I got into this conversation early as I've had lots of problems with my
old e-mail address.  I'm now back on and thought I'd tell everyone
about the RBackend I'm writing for the Obversive project
(http://obversive.sourceforge.net).

The RBackend is basically a CORBA based server that embeds the R
interpreter and provides a completely CORBA based way of interfacing
with it that is the minimum necessary to get R to process code.  The
main advantage of it is the simplicity and that the interface provides
a sanitizing interface for working with R which keeps R from messing
with your program.  By keeping the interface very small and controlled,
it's easier to port the backend to our target platforms.  I also found
that this is the best way to keep the viral R code from mucking up the
Obversive process.  So far, I'm not too impressed with R's C interface
as it assumes it is in total control and takes over your program.

I currently have the RBackend processing R code, and I'm just now
struggling with getting the variables and passing them back and forth.
I'm also contemplating writing a little parser that will give much
better error messages on errors in the R code.  If you're interested in
the IDL so far, check out:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/obversive/obversive/src/
backend/Attic/RBackend.idl?rev=1.1.2.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-
markup

Let me know what you think.

-----
Zed A. Shaw