[R-gui] Interfaces between GUIs and R

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Apr 3 10:02:18 MEST 2003

As you know, I have been working on connecting many systems with R
(e.g. Perl, Python, Java, Octave, XLisp, S-Plus, ...), and have been
trying to get across that using strings across systems is quite
limiting for general computations.  Direct embedding, COM/CORBA, SOAP
or our own version of an XML format for Stat objects seems to be an
obvious collection of approaches.  Robert and I put together much of
an RSXMLObjects package which serializes and reads arbitrary S objects
(including language objects, etc.) using an XML format.  The
structures can be easily extended (in the XML sense) to support other
languages.

If the set of kernels is known and fixed, creating a new or
non-standard protocol is fine.  If people are likely to want to add
new kernels, they would then have to implement that protocol.  Using
something like CORBA/COM, SOAP or embedding would increase the chances
of that person being able to use existing facilities in that kernel.

 D.