[R-gui] Interfaces between GUIs and R

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 2 17:39:50 MEST 2003

Hi folks, this is a question for all you GUI developers out there
though, in particular, to those who work on SciViews and RKward (though
anyone else is certainly welcome to chime in). Presently, my StatPaper
app (which will have a website soon, I've just been busy this week) and
AFAIK RKward employ a "kernel"-type interaction method (SciViews
mentions a kernel, but I haven't been able to test it to see how it
works) with R, that is R itself runs as a separate process and
communication takes place over either the STDIN/STDOUT associated with
the process or through some other means (say, UNIX sockets).  This
works fine if we're just passing text back and forth, but when we want
to start passing objects or graphics device information things start to
do downhill pretty quickly.

My question: Is there any interest in developing a general kernel
interaction protocol for R GUIs? This would most likely include the
following:
	* Representation of data objects
	* Execution of R statements
	* Returning graphics of the kernel link
	* ???

Recently, I've been looking at the OpenMath protocol
(http://www.openmath.org) for use in StatPaper and it seems fairly
simple and robust. It bears a great deal of resemblance to the MathLink
protocol employed by Mathematica. At the moment I think this entire
thing could be done as an R package, possibly using the REventLoop
mechanism for the server (though I don't know that it would be
necessary) and also providing client access so that two R installations
could communicate (I know that Rpvm and Rmpi already exist, though they
have a somewhat different goal) in a standard fashion if desired.

Byron Ellis (bellis at hsph.harvard.edu)
"Oook" - The Librarian