[R-gui] Current R-GUI projects & best graphical toolkits

A.J. Rossini rossini@u.washington.edu
16 Oct 2002 17:47:27 -0700

    zed> Finally, I'd recommend also looking at GTK+ (http://www.gtk.org) and GTKmm
    zed> (http://gtkmm.sourceforge.net/).  GTKmm is just a C++ wrapper around GTK+.
    zed> I don't like it personally (too fat) but you may as it uses the signals/slot
    zed> design for communication and callbacks.  Very clean, but kind of annoying in
    zed> some ways.  GTK+ has all the goodies you mention, works on unix and windows
    zed> and some others (although, barely), and has a fantastic GUI design tool
    zed> called GLADE (http://glade.gnome.org/).  It's probably one of the best GUI
    zed> builders out there and has lots of nice features.  I'm pretty sure GTK+
    zed> supports all the stuff you mention, but I personally don't like the ugly
    zed> "G-Object fake OO in C" API it uses.  If you choose to do it, just use GTKmm
    zed> and C++ (unless you want to write an R to GTK+ binding, which I'm sure would
    zed> make lots of people happy :-).

Duncan T-L has done work with R and GTK -- maybe he'll pipe in.

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu