[R-gui] Current R-GUI projects & best graphical toolkits

John Fox jfox@mcmaster.ca
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:50:36 -0400

Dear Philippe et al.,

At 11:26 AM 10/10/2002 +0200, Philippe Grosjean wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Thank you for those who sended me infos about ongoing R GUI projects.
>I have:
>- CoCoA R GUI: Jan De Leeuw
>- obveRsive woRkbench: Dan Putler & Zed Shaw
>- SPSS-style GUI (planed?): Kurt Hornik
>- SciViews: Philippe Grosjean
>
>Are there any other ones?

I've been experimenting a bit with the tcltk package and plan to explore
using it to provide a GUI to some of the basic statistical functionality in
S. The attraction of TCL/TK is that it's open source and available for all
of the platforms supported by R.

 From the brief descriptions above, what I have in mind is probably closest
to Kurt Hornik's project. I'm applying for a small grant to begin work in
the Spring of 2003, so it will be a while before I have anything tangible.

Regards,
  John
John Fox
Department of Sociology