[R-gui] Re: R-SIG-GUI digest, Vol 1 #18 - 5 msgs

A.J. Rossini rossini@u.washington.edu
28 Nov 2002 11:09:58 -0800

    peter> The basic thing to avoid is the "ESS approach" (don't get me wrong,
    peter> some of my best friends are ESS users ;-) ) where the interface must
    peter> try to learn about the internal state of R by parsing printed output
    peter> (and then make the command and its output disappear from the eyes of
    peter> the end user). There needs to be a direct interface at the level of
    peter> the language objects.

I would agree -- after all, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel!

(On the other hand, I couldn't imagine personally not being able to
interface via ESS -- Emacs IDEs such as JDEE and the toolkits it is
built on, semantic (lex parser), COGRE (UML graph layout), etc) make
it a very strong development environment.  Yes, I know these features
exist in other places, but we've had them available for a long time
now...

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu