[R-gui] Re: R-SIG-GUI digest, Vol 1 #16 - 4 msgs

Mark Myatt mark@myatt.demon.co.uk
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:26:09 +0000

All,

I will just throw in my tuppence ...

My feeling is that there is an advantage in using the Tk interface
already available in R since this will allow people familiar with the R
language to develop front-ends to their functions within the R language
_without_ the need to be able to write code in another language. Making
this work well might require the development of a few custom Tk widgets
that could be used for such things as the selection of operands and,
possibly, some R/Tk templates that could be modified to suit specific
functions. That being said ... I recognise that the R/Tk interface has
been available for some time and has not been much used for this
purpose. Perhaps what is required is for a set of key functions to be
wrapped up in this way (with well documented UI code) so as to
demonstrate that a GUI-based stats package is possible with this
technology.

The XML proposal is a very interesting one. I have been very impressed
with what (e.g.) Mozilla developers have been able to achieve with
XML/XUL and, it seems to me, that this is also a viable route to
producing a cross-platform GUI.

As I said ... just my tuppence.

Best wishes,

Mark