[R-gui] Another R-GUI

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean@sciviews.org
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:31:51 +0100

I must probably explain a little bit, because when I talk about "complex
dialog boxes", it is not very clear what I mean. Nobody will contradict me
when I say that the dynamic dialog boxes, as described in a XML file should
be as portable as possible. In particular, it should be possible to create
similar dialog boxes using different graphical toolkits, from the same XML
specification file (Visual Basic/Delphi/VC++ for SciViews; Swing for
ObveRsive; Qt for RKward; Tcl/Tk or GTK for other projects). However, this
would limit the building blocks -the widgets- to a core basic set that is
common to all toolkits. There will certainly be some cases where the
programmer would like to use specific widgets, or exotic features. For
instance, I have some ideas on how to implement dynamically a dialog box
composed of standard widgets in Visual Basic, but it is not obvious to me
how I could dynamically add some exotic OCXes at run time! Consequently, I
suppose that a few percentage of the dialog boxes will not be portable and
will probably not benefit the dynamic implementation (they will be much
easier to build at design time and be embedded in a shared library, for
instance).

Anyway, I will submit the draft to all interested people in time.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean

P.S.: Duncan, I recently showed your RGL (R interface to OpenGL) at a
R/PASTECS formation,... and I got a lot of Aahh! and Oohhh! By the way, in
the choosen example, some particular features in the data set where only
revealed by playing with the 3D graph in RGL, but not, for instance in a
contour plot [image() followed by contour()].