[R-gui] Another R-GUI

Philippe Grosjean phgrosje@ulb.ac.be
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:20:35 +0100

Yes, Thomas, your are perfectly right: one has to establish a standard for
describing dialog boxes. Your XML-file implementation is interesting. I
don't think most complex dialog boxes should be constructed this way on the
fly, but this should be useful for 95% of our needs. I am willing to add a
page in http://www.r-project.org/GUI for proposing such a standard. Thomas,
would you like to propose a draft? Does somebody else want to participate? I
also think that people at Bioconductor, Omegahat and, of course, R-Core Team
should contribute to this, if they like. I just look at respective lists of
participants in R-SIG-GUI in one hand and Bioconductor in the other hand:
there are very few people involved in both. Peter, do you know who should I
contact directly at Bioconductor?

Also, probably related to this: I am thinking on a context sensitive user
interface organized around an object explorer. Items in the object explorer
would have context menus that trigger context sensitive dialog boxes
(pertinent analyses for, let's say, a data frame or a ts object are
obviously not the same) and an associated tabbed "explorer view window" that
allow to look at objects [most tabs of the view window would correspond to
methods of the object like summary(), plot(), hist(),...]. I think this
could be added in the XML specifications too. A context-sensitive "clipping
list" (list of R code templates, pertinent in the current context) could be
another nice addition too.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean