[R--gR] Hello!

zhihua li lzhtom at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 03:07:17 CET 2005

Hi,Dr.Zhou

Nice to receive your letter. If A activates B, it is conceivable that their
expression profiles tend to be similar. But this seems to arise from a
common sense or thumb rule. I've never seen a paper studying the details of
"similarity" of expression profiles. Instead different people use their own
defination of similatiry and develop different kinds of algorithms, like
euclean distance in clustering, or conditinal propability in BNT.
As for the golden pathway to be tested usint the new algorithms, I think
the starting point is other people's published datasets. There are numerous
papers emerging in bioinforamtics/computational biology journals describing
different algorithms every month. Almost each of them uses some datasets
and presents their re-constructed networks. I think you can run your
algorithm with their datasets and compare your results with theirs and
known biological facts. In fact, I don't think there exists a "golden
pathway" which is the touchstone of modeling genetic networks.

Hope this may help.

Li