[R--gR] Plots in R

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jun 9 18:44:00 CEST 2005

Neha:

1. This mailing list is about "graphical models in R" not about
"graphics" (or whatever the rationale was for choosing this list).
R-help is the right mailing list for this kind of questions. If you
should do so in the future: read the posting guide before.

> I am a beginner in R (using it for about 2-3 days now) and I have a
> couple of problems I am encountering.
>
> I am working on a windows machine and using putty to ssh into the
> "box" where R is installed (I think Unix is running on the box I ssh
> into). The problem I am facing is that when I try to plot using the
> plot function in R, nothing shows up - no window pops up with the
> plot. I tried invoking x11 using the command - x11("192.9.200.232:0
> <http://192.9.200.232:0>.0"), nothing happens - it just hangs. When I
> use the startx command in cygwin and ssh, the graph pops up.

2. This does not look like a problem with R at all, does it?
It seems that the X-forwarding does not work when you use putty, and
that it does work when you use cygwin start an X server and forward X
with ssh.
I'm not sure whether X-forwarding can be done with putty or not or if
how or...but the R mailing lists are probably not the right place to
find out about that.

> What is the problem? I am unable to understand. Please help. Thanks.

3. Why don't you simply install R on your Windows machine, a binary
version for Windows is available from CRAN.