[R--gR] Graphs and Metro's

Castelo, Robert rcastelo at imim.es
Wed Oct 20 14:22:18 CEST 2004

hi,

since i live in Barcelona and use its metro network i'll answer this :)

the area of research for this is called "graph drawing" and a good link
to get acquainted with it is

http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/rt/gd.html

a friend of mine who works in automated cartography has recommended me
this link and has told me that the first two links, a book and a
pdf-tutorial, are quite good as a starting point.

he also pointed out to me that it's very different to draw with straight
segments than with curves as the number of edge crossings can be very
different. minimizing crossings is NP-hard however if the number of
crossings is small the following reference (and references therein) can
be useful:

Computing Crossing Numbers in Quadratic Time  .
  Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 68(2):285-302, 2004.
  Conference version appeared in Proceedings of the 32nd ACM Symposium
  on Theory of Computing (STOC'01), pp.231-236, 2001.
  http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~grohe/pub/cross.ps

i hope this helps,
robert.