[R--gR] Modelformulae

DED (David George Edwards) ded at novonordisk.com
Thu Aug 19 14:44:19 CEST 2004

Dear Steffen (and other gRs)

I think it is absolutely the way ahead. Some quick questions and
comments

1. At first sight it seems confusing to use parentheses to mark block
components, I think I'd prefer
some special symbol (eg & ?) or the b() notation:

~ (A+B)*C|D & B*E|E & D|E   or equivalently
~ b(A+B)*C|D, B*E|E, D|E)

2. Syntax constraints
*	Interactions between continuous variables of max order 2, eg
X*Y*Z is illegal
*	(I suppose X*X is equivalent to X^2?)
*     Higher order continuous interactions could be disallowed or
ignored (prefer the former)
*	Categorical variables are 'factors' in R (sorry for the
Rothamsted ambience here)
*     I suppose A*A is illegal if A is a factor, or is it just
equivalent to A?
*	Conditioning symbol | is followed by a simple variable list eg
(X,Y,A)
*	no directed cycles for chain graph models
*	more ?

eg ~ A*(X+Y+Z)^2|(X,Y,Z)

3. Functions can be used, eg ~Z+log(X), sqrt(x-min(x))

4. Ramifications of ':'
*     My understanding is that the use of ':' rather than '*' relates to
different parametrisations of the same space.
	In principle when specifying a model this should be irrelevant.
Or do we want to commit ourselves to a certain
      parametrisation - if so, why?
*     I suppose if ':' is allowed we should also allow %in% and /
(nested).

5. Question to the (ha)R(d)-core: can the existing R formula parser be
used with these formulae? Or how should it be done?
If we need a special parser, what should this return?

Best regards
David