[R-sig-Geo] Extract Lightning Flash Time series data

Michael Sumner md@umner @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Sep 11 06:50:58 CEST 2022

I don't understand this file structure yet, but you might try tidync:

library(tidync)
## open the file and get a summary of all vars and the dimensions they use
(nc <- tidync::tidync("TRMM_LIS.nc"))

See how viewtime_lat, viewtime_lon (and others) exist on the grid
identified by "D0" (other grids include multiple dims and so have
identifiers like "D1,D2" - this concept doesn't exist in NetCDF itself but
tidync wanted to group variables by the dims they use).

The grid "D0" is not active by default, so you can do

nc |> activate("D0")

(everything is lazy up to this point, no data has been read)

Convert to dataframe with

nc |> activate("D0") |> hyper_tibble()

You can use hyper_array() to get in native array format with some informal
metadata on the output.

HTH, otherwise package stars has another approach and some similar
facilities.  I often use tidync just to understand what's there, but I
might craft a solution with a different tool after I've explored. RNetCDF
will give you direct low level access to this format, for example.

Cheers, Mike